Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Progress, weather updates

The weather continues to be extremely weird. It snowed a bit three days ago, and will probably snow again today. Watching the mainstream weathercasts leads me to wonder if I am the only one noticing this continual shift to weirder and weirder weather patterns within Northern California as a whole. I think 'somebody' is trying to tell us something, and we are not listening - or we can't even hear.

Gratitude
At WinSol3, I am thankful for no super hot days. It is giving me more time to dig in the dirt before it gets bone dry. It saves from watering all my new raised beds. it allows me to work during mid-day periods which are usually very warm.

Current Projects

 Worm Bin
Yesterday I finally got aroung to building my worm casting bin. I was all set to make it out of wood (cuz I really hate plastic) - and ended up using plastic for one simple reason: maintenance.  With the wood bin, I would've needed to water it every week or so, and eventually would've forgotten and lost a whole bunch of the wiggly guys.  So, hey- plastic to save the worms! After shredding the newspapers, putting in leaves and some deep forest peat moss along with coffee grinds and egg shells, i think the little guys are off to a good start.  btw: I got the worms through a  TimeBank exchange for some carpentry work I did.

 GHS WaterFall + pond
Construction continues on the large water feature in the middle of the Greenhouse.  Let's see, I must have about 1200lbs of concrete along with dozens of colored tiles in there by now with the side steps,  deep catch+pump basin, river rock floor and the very cool terraced, six feet high water fall.   I can't wait to test it!  There remains an incredible amount of gardening work to do.  The willow tree is doing nicely, the Virginia creeper really loves it and is vining like crazy.  I transplanted all the blue beard iris out into the garden and put the knock-out roses at the southern most planter - it's not a very hospitable place, so those knock-out mutation roses should prosper!


Vegie Garden
The three new raised bed areas are doing nicely, the strawberries are quite confused with the weather + snow! I put in two rubber tire based potatoe planters and if they work out, there will be MANY more - they are so easy.  Work continues on carving the native mountain misery landscape into terraced, walkable garden areas.  I continue to harvest fresh salad material each day with radishes, spinach, root beet, lettuce and various other fresh leafed candy. 
The lavendar, thyme, grapes, blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb, etc. are all prospering.

Indoors
Final wod trim,drywall and painting was completed last week on the main living area wall. YEAH - that only took a few years.  I've re-opened the basement door access and will start organizing that and clearing out the entire unsightly eastern area, and close off the entire skirting.
Loft, Trombe + chimney work
My work now shifts to the loft.  Yesterday, I hard wired the entertainment center along with convenient switches, along with my keyboard area.... oh do I wish I had time to appease my musical piano yearnings.  Soon, grasshopper, soon.
The Trombe loft wall will get its entire face done with granite rock later this week, then the final floor boards get put in, and walhla!  another two rooms done.  Just in time for summer visitors.   Then there's the big, big project around July (sometime when there's  guarantee of no rain) and the middle of the big green roof gets opened up to allow the final stone chimney to reach to the blue skies.  Oh, do I look forward to no more collapsed steel chimneys in the middle of winter blizzards. And it will look so cool to have the stone work coming out of the roof.
----------------------------------------------------

So today, I do hope to finally take a walk in the woods even in the rain.  The last few days there were the usual suspects revving their dirt bikes on the holiday weekend, and i do not care to run into them at full throttle on the forest roads.

Another day, week in the life of WinSol3 nature sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment