Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Junuary update

 Someone emailed me using the word 'Junuary' and it is so apropos. January in June is where it's been at until today - hopefully. The last three days it rained almost continuously. As I hung up my winter parka and stowed my Sorrel winter boots this morning - I wondered outloud if this will finally be the last time this season,  and reminisced about how many times I've said the same thing this season. I don't even know what 'season' to call it - it sure as hell isn't spring or summer.

I opened up the loft curtains on WinSol3 for the first time in 2months - they have been drawn 24/7 - day + nite. That's the last time it was warm inside (without the fireplace churning).  Since WinSol3 is specifically designed for optimal solar angles - this cold May + June are not 'normal'.  The loft curtains are my simple version of adding thermal insulation on the fly. They came in handy for the past two months, and they trapped more heat inside the main area.  Unfortunately this also cuts down on the daylight  so it's real nice to have them open. 

The next 10+ days are supposed to get over 70F and things should really start popping in the garden, the courtyard and the greenhouse.  How many times have I said that before?  Heck, even January with its 70F days had some things starting to pop out of hibernation.

Permies+
I am using my new-found permaculture knowledge to build wonderful potatoe rings, unique quick in-place compost piles, splitting many many lavenders, rhubarb (baked  another delicious pie yesterday), etc.  I think once I get my 'gated' gardens going well with ALL my own vegies + fruit without interference from the deer and racoons; i will venture into the woodlands and open areas and start putting a lot of effort into creating a perennial forest garden the way Sepp Holzer does it.  He is my new 'god' - amazing that he can grow banana trees outside of Salzburg, Austria.  He has taken the permaculture and Steiner biodynamic principles to a whole higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment