Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Changing weather + solar challenges

Happy New Year to everyone. The winter sun has finally appeared at WinSol3 - it's been over 40 days since there's been more than one day of sunshine in arow.

It's been challenging at WinSol3 for the past 2 months. Partly because I usually don't spend this much continuous time at WinSol3,  and a bigger part due to the unique weather pattern in the Sierras - record breaking! Even the skiing at Kirkwood has been off-limits to me due to avalanche controls at the Carson Spur - and I don't ski in blizzards anymore. That will change tomorrow.

Today the outside temp was 29F at the 7:40am sunrise. Within 5 minutes my outside temp gauge shot up to 59F (hit by direct sun), an hour later it was 87F! I am keeping the sauna fired up each morning at a comfortable 70F. But my firewood is WAY down so I haven't been able to keep the main house as warm - something about building that courtyard and deck all summer and fall. This morning the deck was a great ice rink (frost)- and I didn't even slide off the edge!

Electrical challenges:
Two days ago while watching some of the college football games, I noticed my monitor's voltage at 11.1! Never seen it that low - I was amazed the inverter hadn't shut off on LVD. I fired up the generator, charged everything, and enjoyed the electric heaters - ha! Yesterday I readjusted the PV controller set points, and now the system is back to charging at 13.6+. The wind generator helps - but not as much as I thought it would. Now that we will have 10+ days of continuous sunshiny days, there will be no more electrical issues.
WinSol3 was designed for about 5-7 cloudy days - not 40+! I usually skip off to urban friends - but between roads and other issues, that was not possible this year.

On an aside - I've discovered my itouch music collection and Cambridge sound system use a tiny amount of energy - so great music on stormy days (along with great books + tea) has been the main course.  Between storms I have gone on long forest walks and rediscovered the awesome beauty of pure nature.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Here's a draft blog I wrote a few days ago....


The perfect winter storm


Finally, a winter storm that was as predicted and up to the hype of a typical 'California-style’ winter storm.  No, this is not a movie/book metaphor – it’s the real, human thing – it’s what I wish all winter storms would be.  Here’s my definition of a perfect winter storm:

1. Not too much snow accumulation and more than just a mere dusting.
2. Assurances that I will be able to drive out of here if needed.
3. Some sunshine needs to happen before, during, and after.
4. Fast moving clouds = fast moving cold front.

After the first pre-Thanksgiving storm of the season slammed the door on an Indian summer, dumping close to 4 feet of snow here, and the sub-tropical monsoonal rains continued like a long column of marching soldiers… it was kinda nice to get a ‘mild’ winter storm for a change.


The weather forecasters got it right! They predicted the variations of rainfall, falling temperatures, snow levels, accumulation – all of it! My satellite internet monitoring verified it. I move my truck out by the county road – just in case. And of course according to Murphy - there was no need to.  Only when i don't move the truck does it snow several  unpredicted feet - like it did before Thanksgiving.


It was absolutely breathtaking to walk in the wilderness the last few days, hug trees, drink from mountain streams, collect oodles of wild mushrooms, follow fresh animal tracks… amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment